Research and the Feldenkrais Method
There is a growing body of research conducted by scientists, scholars, and Feldenkrais practitioners around the world exploring all aspects of the Feldenkrais Method, including its efficacy, applications, theoretical foundations, and more.
Items sorted alphabetically by Author
- Abenhaim L, Rossignol M, Vaalat J et al. The role of activity in the therapeutic management of back pain: Report of the Paris International Task Force on Back Pain. Spine. 25(4S Suppl.): 1S-33S, 2000. Peer Reviewed.
- Alexander A. Perceived pain and disability decreases after Feldenkrais’ Awareness Through Movement. Masters Thesis. Cal State, Northridge, June 2006.
- Ann J. Individuals with dementia learn new habits and are empowered through the Feldenkrais method. [Journal Article, Case Study] Alzheimer’s Care Quarterly. 2006 Oct-Dec; 7(4): 278-86. (29 ref) . Peer Reviewed.
- Archer, Shirley. Feldenkrais Method Complements Martial Arts. IDEA Fitness Journal Mar 2007, Vol. 4 Issue 2, p87 1/6p.
- Balduzzi, David; Tononi, Giulio. Integrated Information in Discrete Dynamical Systems: Motivation and Theoretical Framework. PLoS Computational Biology, Jun 2008, Vol. 4(6): 1-18.Subjects: DYNAMICS; GESTALT psychology; MECHANICS, Analytic; FUNCTIONAL analysis; FELDENKRAIS method; APPERCEPTION
- Baniel A. . New possibilities: a revolutionary approach for transforming the lives of children with special needs.[Journal Article, Case Study, Pictorial] Massage & Bodywork. 2006 Dec-2007 Jan; (): 66-8, 70, 72 passim..
- Bann, Carla M.; Sirois, Fuschia M.; Walsh, Edith G. Provider Support in Complementary and Alternative Medicine: Exploring the Role of Patient Empowerment. Journal of Alternative & Complementary Medicine, Jul2010, Vol. 16(7): 745-752 10.1089/acm.2009.0381.
- Batson G. Effect of group delivery of Feldenkrais Awareness Through Movement on balance, functional mobility, and quality of life in adults post-stroke. PhD dissertation, Rocky Mountain University, 2006. Advisors: Stephens J and Deutsch JE.
- Batson G and Deutsch J. Effects of Feldenkrais Awareness Through Movement on Balance in Adults With Chronic Neurological Deficits Following Stroke: A Preliminary Study. Complementary Health Practice Review, Vol. 10 No. 3, October 2005 203-210 DOI: 10.1177/1533210105285516 ©2005 Sage Publications. Peer Reviewed.
- Batson, Glenna. Revisiting Overuse Injuries in Dance in View of Motor Learning and Somatic Models of Distributed Practice. Journal of Dance Medicine & Science 2007, Vol. 11 Issue 3, p70 6p. Peer Reviewed.
- Bearman D, Shafarman S. Feldenkrais Method in the Treatment of Chronic Pain: A Study of Efficacy and Cost Effectiveness. Am. J. Pain Management. 9 (1): 22-27, 1999. Peer Reviewed.
- Ben-Arye E; Katz I; Hochman O; Hermoni D. Exploring feldenkrais practitioners’ attitudes toward clinical research.Journal of Alternative & Complementary Medicine (J ALTERN COMPLEMENT MED), 2007 Jul-Aug; 13(6): 593-4 (5 ref).Peer Reviewed.
- Bennett JL, Brown BJ, Finney SA, and Sarantakis CP. Effects of a Feldenkrais Based Mobility Program on Function of a Healthy Elderly Sample. Abstract in Geriatrics, publication of Geriatric section of APTA. Presented at CSM in Boston in February 1998.
- Bishop, Felicity L.; Yardley, Lucy; Lewith, George T. Treatment appraisals and beliefs predict adherence to complementary therapies: A prospective study using a dynamic extended self-regulation model. British Journal of Health Psychology, Nov 2008, Vol. 13(4): 701-718.
- Blair, R. J. R.; Mitchell, D. G. V. Psychopathy, attention and emotion. Psychological Medicine. Apr 2009, Vol. 39(4): 543-555.Subjects: PSYCHOPATHY; ATTENTION; PERSONALITY & emotions; DELINQUENT behavior; EMOTIONS & cognition; FELDENKRAIS method
- Booth B. Back to the balance sheet… body therapy techniques … Rolfing… the Feldenkrais method… applied kinesiology. Nursing Times. 1995 Apr 19-25; 91(16): 44-5. (12 ref). Review Article.
- Bost H, Burges S, Russell R, Ruttinger H, Schlafke U. Feldstudie zur wiiksamkeit der Feldenkrais-Methode bei MS – betroffenen. Deutsche Multiple Sklerose Gesellschaft. Saarbrucken, Germany. 1994. (Summary available in English translated by Hans Hartmann, Sc.D.).
- Bracciante LE. The body in motion: movement education provides new models for wellness. Body Sense. 2003 Spring; 3(1): 14-6. Review Article.
- Brand, CS.. Stress Management in Cardiac Rehabilitation: Observations on Attention and Emotion. Paper presented at The Annual Conference of the Feldenkrais Guild of North America, Los Angeles, CA September, 1998.
- Brown, E and Kegerris S. Electromyographic Activity of Trunk Musculature During a Feldenkrais Awareness through Movement Lesson. Isokinetics and Exercise Science. 1(4): 216-221, 1991. Peer Reviewed.
- Bruce, F.M. Making sense in movement : the dynamics of self-learning and self-change. [Microform Thesis or Dissertation] Kinesiology Publications, University of Oregon Eugene, OR, 2004, 3 microfiche (234 fr.).
(…) for the 158 articles and publications please refer to the official website:
The Feldenkrais® Educational Foundation of North America (FEFNA)
FEFNA supports theoretically grounded research that extends and advances theFeldenkrais Method. To further this work, FEFNA established a Research Committee. In 2005, the committee established the Esther Thelen Research and Education Fund. In the fall of 2011, the Research Committee and the Esther Thelen Fund Subcommittee reorganized into the Esther Thelen Research Committee.
Esther Thelen Research Committee
Chair, Patricia Buchanan, PhD, ATC, PT, GCFT, Toledo, OH, USA
Members, Roger Russell, CFT, PT, Heidelberg, Germany
Jim Stephens, PhD, PT, GCFP, Havertown, PA, USA
Work of the committee includes:
Esther Thelen, Ph.D., G.C.F.P Research and Education Fund
The Feldenkrais® Educational Foundation of North America (FEFNA) established the Esther Thelen Research and Education Fund in 2005. This fund is named in honor of Esther Thelen, Ph.D., G.C.F.P., developmental psychologist and director of the Infant Motor Development Laboratory at Indiana University from 1985 to 2004. Read more…
Feldenkrais® Science Network
2013 Esther Thelen Research Forum
Here is the presentation from August 27, 2013 Esther Thelen Research Forum,“Improving Action, Smoothing the Road,” by Dr. Patricia Buchanan, sponsored by the Esther Thelen Research Committee and FEFNA at the Feldenkrais Method®Annual Meeting in San Mateo, CA.
2012 Research Symposium “Embodying Neuroscience” featuring Keynote speaker Dr. Michael Merzenich
Video interview with Dr. Michael Merzenich on neuroscience, learning and theFeldenkrais Method. Interviewed by Feldenkrais practitioner and researcher Cliff Smyth:
Research articles that have looked at some aspects of the Method.
IFF Academy Feldenkrais Research Journal
The IFF Academy Feldenkrais Research Journal is a publication of the IFF Academy, a project of the International Feldenkrais Federation.
IFF Research Bibliography:
The Australian Feldenkrais Guild Research webpage: